Thursday, 19 June 2014

Bees... Illustrating Bumble Bee's and Honey Bees...


So, I've left my usual Halloween territory for a while of late and been enjoying drawing some rather more Summery subject matter... Bees!

Bumble Bee's have always been very close to my heart, they always remind me of my Granddad (now sadly no longer with us) He loved Bumble Bees. The last couple of years our garden has been full of Bumble Bee's, on the lavender and all over the flowers on our Oregano and Sage too. They are a delight to watch, fuzzy and somewhat unsteady in the air flitting and buzzing around the flowers, drinking up all the sweet nectar.

I've had a few invasions in my studio of late too, and spent a couple of hours carefully herding inquisitive bumble bee's back outside into the garden.

So inspired by the bee's I decided to draw them, and have some pictures here to share with you of the resulting Bumble Bee illustrations.


Pen and Ink illustrations....

© Nicola L Robinson 2015 www.teethandclaws.co.uk All rights reserved
Bumble Bee and Honey Bee Illustrations © Nicola L Robinson 2014

© Nicola L Robinson 2015 www.teethandclaws.co.uk All rights reserved
Bumble Bee face and antennae © Nicola L Robinson 2014

© Nicola L Robinson 2015 www.teethandclaws.co.uk All rights reserved
Bumble Bee wing and leg © Nicola L Robinson 2014

© Nicola L Robinson 2015 www.teethandclaws.co.uk All rights reserved
Honey Bee head and legs © Nicola L Robinson 2014

© Nicola L Robinson 2015 www.teethandclaws.co.uk All rights reserved
Honey Bee Stripes © Nicola L Robinson 2014

I hadn't intended to do anything more than the bumble bee, but decided it would be nice to draw a honey bee too, so they are a pair. The honey bee is rather different in shape and looks somewhat more aerodynamic than the fat fuzzy bumble bee does.

Painted Bees- 

© Nicola L Robinson 2015 www.teethandclaws.co.uk All rights reserved
Bumble Bee and Honey Bee Illustrations © Nicola L Robinson 2014
 


© Nicola L Robinson 2015 www.teethandclaws.co.uk All rights reserved
Hairy Bumble Bee leg © Nicola L Robinson 2014


Neither bumble bee nor Honey Bee are totally accurate depictions, I'm not going for natural science illustrations here, and I have taken some liberties with them, most notably on their little antennae, giving them some curly ends. Fortunately these two don't have to fly around busily collecting nectar for their queen's and hives, this pair are going to be content on my wall in my studio, a reminder of Summer, which is never as long as we'd like...


(My Bee's are also available as signed prints in my Teeth and Claws Shop here -Bee's)


Save the Bee's - 


I'm sure you're already aware of the dwindling bee populations, and hope you will check out these Bee links to learn more about bee's and how we can help...


The Bumble Bee Conservation Trust - All About Bumble Bees...




British Beekeepers Association  - All About Honey Bee's and their Bee Keepers 




The Great British Bee Count - Needs you to log your bee sightings! (I'm already doing this)

No comments: