Friday, 9 August 2013

The Wind on the Moon - Eric Linklater. Cover Illustration for Vintage Books


I love Vintage Books, I've always been a huge admirer of their cover designs and distinct book spines! so I was thrilled when earlier this year I had the pleasure of working with them on a cover illustration for their Vintage Children's Classics edition of the childrens novel - The Wind on the Moon by Eric Linklater. It was originally published by Macmillan during World War II in 1944 and won the Carnegie Medal too.

I must confess it was not a book I was familiar with, but on reading it in preparation for my illustrations I couldn't help but be taken in by the sheer craziness of the story, following two little girls Dinah and Dorindah and their madcap adventures meeting a host of colourful characters including Mr Corvo, the golden puma, the silver falcon, (pictured on front cover) and Bendigo the bear, Lady Lil and Sir Bobadil (back cover) to name but a few. 

The book is illustrated throughout with the original black and white illustrations by Nicolas Bentley.

I received my copy of the book this week and have taken a few shaky photo's...

Front Cover - The Wind on the Moon
Back Cover - The Wind on the Moon
Inside vignette - Bendigo the bear!
The spine - a pair of Kangaroos!
Bendigo the Bear, busy reading his newspaper.

For a clearer look at my cover illustration visit my website - Wind on the Moon


The Vintage Books website - http://www.vintage-books.co.uk/
The exciting World of Stories Website for Vintage Children's Classics - http://www.worldofstories.co.uk/

No comments: