Friday, 3 May 2013

Drawing dragons with Awsworth Primary School....




I love illustrating and being an illustrator, most of my working day is spent alone in my studio, working on various projects and doing business admin and drinking coffee. So it was a totally new and exciting experience for me recently when I was invited into Awsworth Primary School to draw dragons with the children.
I have not been into a school before (not since leaving my own, a fair few years ago now!) and I confess I was a little nervous beforehand. I was to be visiting all the classes in the school from Reception (3 and 4 year olds) through to the eldest students in Upper Key Stage 2 (up to 11 years old).

Fortunately dragons are an excellent topic and seem to be of universal interest across the ages (I'm 30 and I still love them) so I devised a dragon drawing workshop and I also made up some dot to dot dragons and colouring sheets for the very youngest children.
I needn't have worried, the children were so enthusiastic and did brilliantly. It was the first time I had drawn in public before so it was a relief to have such a supportive audience!

The resulting drawings from all the classes are absolutely fantastic, I was so impressed with the children, and had a lot of fun working with them and meeting all the teachers, who also produced some brilliant dragons too :)

Here is a small selection of dragons from a couple of the classes I visited, 

Class 1 and 1A (4 and 5 year olds, Upper Foundation) -

Class 5 (7 - 9 year olds, lower Key Stage 2)
 
 
 

I hoped to encourage the children to add their own embellishments and original features to customize their dragons, which they did brilliantly. We had extra eyes and legs and gruesome details everywhere. It was also fantastic to hear how many of the children love drawing at home and hear all about the other artistic ventures they are working on.

Many thanks everyone!

Click on the pictures to see larger drawings. All dragons (apart from my hairy one) copyright to the artists. 

4 comments:

Marie Pickard said...

My son was one of the younger children you was drawing dragons and monsters with, he loved it, the first thing he did when he came home was show his Dad how to draw a monster from your book. He also said to me the other night at bedtime after reading your book, he wants to become a 'writer and drawer' of books when he gets older. You certainly left a favourable impression. I look forward to reading him another one of your books very soon.

Nicola L Robinson said...

Thanks Marie! I'm really pleased to hear your son enjoyed himself :)

Martina said...

As one of the staff at Awsworth and also a parent of two of the children I just wanted to say how much we ALL enjoyed your workshop...needless to say we have various dragons dotted all over the house at the moment...Thank you for inspiring my children and myself to draw again!! X

Nicola L Robinson said...

Thanks Martina :) I've also got dragons dotted around the house, haha. I'm very pleased to have inspired you!