Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Children meeting Tyrannosaurus Rex, colour illustration. (Dinosaurs are awesome)

Children Meeting the Tyrannosaurus Rex - Click to enlarge
A couple of weeks ago I had the chance to do a colour illustration from my previous rough drawing. I realise dinosaurs can technically be any colour and being a predator T-rex probably didn't need to worry about camouflage but I can't grasp the idea of a bright pink dinosaur least of all in Tyrannosaurus, so I've gone with a more traditional green/yellow colour, with some nice angular stripes.

For those interested I usually produce a fairly tight rough when I work, and this is a typical example, both for myself and for clients, I personally like to get composition and expressions nailed down before moving into colour, so there aren't any nasty surprises... particularly useful when providing illustrations for design where there will be text and other elements added later. Or for pop up work where things have to be very precise. You don't want your dinosaur to break out of his space, which this one looks like he might be considering, if only to have a closer look at the little girl on the far left...



No comments: