Monday, 6 August 2012

Beauty and the Beast - Fairytale sketch

When I was 6 years old I won a poster competition at my infant school held by the mobile bookshop which used to visit our school hall and sell their books. The poster was to promote reading books and from what I remember I had drawn a large rat grinning and holding a book with the command to 'read books' on it, or something similar, regardless, it won, I was very pleased and I was awarded a book as my prize. Any book I wanted from the mobile library. I chose 'The Faber Storybook' full of fairytales and legends, and illustrated with wonderful little black and white drawings by Alan Howard.

I was thinking about the book recently and thought it would be nice to illustrate some fairytales, Grimm or otherwise, and put down this sketch of Beauty and the Beast-

Beauty and the (very hairy) Beast rough character sketch. All rights reserved.
I might work this into colour sometime, but I was quite pleased with the very hairy beast interacting with Beauty. A sweet trusting moment... or is the beast going to rip her arm off at any second? I'll stick with the former for now.

For some reason I don't think of the Beast as a man, or a werewolf esq humanoid  but more of a very hairy yeti/bear. I've never really got on with teddy bears wearing costumes (too pompous for one thing) but also they don't seem quite bearlike anymore, so the Beast is just hairy, with teeth and claws and horns.

No comments: