Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Rough sketches for Downtown

I usually only put finished examples of work on my blog as an extension of my main portfolio site but I've been sorting through some papers in my studio and thought it might be an interesting change to put some rough sketches up too, here are a couple from the most recent 'Downtown' project.

First rough idea sketch -

No, this isn't the result of spiders break dancing across my sketchbook page, but the first rough sketch or thumbnail if you will. This is actually fairly cohesive in comparison to other similar 'ideas' I have. I often annotate with words too. The text reads 'Monster city at night, dark alley's, iron bridges'

Pencil Rough -
A full size pencil rough of the eventual drawing, although for some reason I haven't added the little figures here.

Colour -

The finished illustration with inking and colour.

2 comments:

J.R.Poulter/J.R.McRae said...

This is BRILLIANT Nicola!

Nicola L Robinson said...

Thanks, pleased you like it! It was a bit of a nightmare drawing all those windows though. Haha, Nicola